hefma logo

NWU-Puk saves R1.37 million in electricity

Students in the residences of the North-West University’s Potchefstroom Campus (NWU-Puk) have saved R 1.37 milllion from May to October in the campus’ electricity usage competition.

This amount is nearly R400 000 more than what the campus’ respective residences achieved last year in comparison with the cost figures of 2011.

“We are very proud of every student who did their part. We are very glad to see how students studying here with us can make a real difference,” Jean-Marc Stidworthy, a project manager at the NWU-Puk, said.

The electricity saving competition is a challenge between all the campus residences to keep their electricity usage as low as possible. Residences’ electricity usage is strictly monitored and each residence’s usage is then worked out per capita. The residence that saved the most electricity received monthly prizes, and the overall winner will be announced later this month.  

In 2012 the target for each residence was to save 5% of its usage and the students did extremely well by using 6% less electricity. This year it was even better. Because electricity is more expensive in the winter than it is in summer and due to the bigger demand, 70% of the winning residence’s result is determined by the quantity of electricity saved and the remaining 30% focuses on the time of usage.  

Usage is at its highest from 07:00 to 10:00 in the morning and 18:00 to 20:00 in the evening. “This year the NWU-Puk launched the rector, Prof Herman van Schalkwyk’s ‘Care’ initiative and it is nice to know that we can make a contribution to a greener future in a country that is suffering from an energy crisis,” Stidworthy said.

Powered by GO Better Publishing